Friday, August 08, 2008

Google vs. McDonald's – The Speed Test

As I imagined, Google has been compared to and measured against almost everything. From IBM to Santa Clause, for example you can find about 18,000 comparisons in seconds with a simple Google search. My favorite so far is that “Google is like your Ex (wife) – Cute, but Insane.”

But today I have the opportunity to compare, or more to the point measure, Google vs McDonald's.

This story starts with the typical Friday rush to get things done, get to lunch, get back, get some more work done, and then get the heck out of the office. So at approx. 1:15 I finished a new blog post on my Words of Freedom blog and quickly hit the submit button. Then, you guessed it, headed for McDonald's.

McDonald's is no more than 5 minutes away, but it’s still basically lunch time and the drive through is pretty busy, so it was not just a drive up and order sort of thing. But soon enough it’s my turn at the giant order board and I place my order for a BBQ snack wrap (a chicken tender in a tortilla shell) and a small fry. Artery clogging fat and cholesterol in hand I drive right back to the office. By now 19minutes have gone by as I sit back down at my desk.

Being addicted to Google more so than my snack wrap I instinctively go to Google and search on the title of my latest blog post, the post I made second before going to lunch. Which I think was something like “Richard M. Nixon on perseverance”. Ok, that’s a pretty specific search term and it looks like I may have been the first to have ever strung those five words together in the history of the internet. But that’s not the point. The point is that Google had already found my post, and at the bottom of the Google search result it said “13 minutes ago”

So with my trip taking 19 minutes and Google indexing my post 13 minutes before I got back that means it took Google only 6 minutes to find my post out of the entire internet and serve it up in a search result. Comparing that with my visit to the drive through, and excluding drive time, I see it took McDonald's 9 minutes to fill my order of a BBQ snack wrap and a fry.

By this simple experiment I believe I am not only the first to ever write “Richard M. Nixon on perseverance “ but that I am also the first to have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Google is faster than McDonald's. So it is a good Friday indeed.

One last thing: When I finally took a bite of my snack wrap, I quickly discovered that McDonald's had botched my order and gven me Ranch instead of BBQ.

1 comment:

Andy Wendt said...

I just read a comment on a Blog where Matt Cutts made a post and then did a tweet about it. Someone in that thread said "any story with Google in it gets a lot of traffic". So I was reminded of this silly old story and I pulled it up and to my surprise it had Page Rank. Perhaps what they say is true. LOL