Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Eric Ward Selling Ads for Text Link Ads?



Does anyone else see the irony in the Text Link Ad above Eric Ward's post titled, "Dark Side of the Links: It’s All Fun & Games ‘Til Google Catches On".

From the article, Mr. Ward states, "Link marketing must be viewed more as a PR function and less of an SEO function. Links for the sake of manipulated rank is a fool's game."  The ad above Mr. Ward's post glares at the reader with a contradiction from Text Link Ads declaring that "Links are SEO fuel."

Mr. Ward goes on to say that he has seen tactics such as link buying 'blow up," and "The search engines make it pretty clear what they consider to be violations of quality guidelines."

Subliminal message... Oh and if you want some SEO link fuel, click on my ad.

I know I can't blame Mr. Ward, he probably doesn't have control over which ads are sold on Search Engine Watch.  But I can blame SEW for promoting something that is clearly not what Mr. Cutts and Google want to see promoted. At last check SEW had a PR7.

Will it last, or will selling ads for companies selling links cause SEW to be damaged by future Panda updates?
No one really knows for sure, until one day when you find out and its too late.

Full Disclosure: Xponex does not sell ads to companies engaged in selling links. We don't sell liinks, we don't buy links. We get links the old fashioned way, we earn them.*

We practice what Eric Ward preaches. We will always remain on the light side because we are in it for the long run.

*Reference: Some of you might remember the 1970s Smith Barney commercial starring the famous actor and producer John Houseman. This line, which he delivered at the end of the commercial, will be remembered for generations to come, not only because of his brilliant delivery, but also because of the profound message it carried: “How do they make money? The old-fashioned way…they earn it.”

2 comments:

Eric Ward said...

I don't control the advertisements on the SEW site. I am just one of hundreds of contributors over the years. But it is a great example of the very conflict I describe in the column. The very definition of irony indeed.

John Beagle said...

I knew you don't control or directly benefit from any specific ad.

Thanks for your comment agreeing with me about the irony. I've always been a big fan of your linking philosophy so when I saw the ad selling links, I had to say something.

Perhaps SEW will some day be more selective with its advertisers. To me that would make as much sense as 'The Catholic Blog' not not allowing condom advertising.